SEA is a not for profit organisation focusing on building a local network, and organising local events.
We are not an umbrella group. We welcome all interested individuals and organisations regardless of their levels of engagement and skills. There is no obligation or expectations, this is about building a community inclusive to all. To support each other. To learn and create sustainable change.
As well as running a monthly Repair cafe, SEA will organise events and invite groups and individuals to take part. SEA is also investigating the possibility of a sustainability centre within Seaford, enabling us to reach out to the general public and be a hub for sustainable living.
We are happy to advertise events held by other groups and can ask our contacts for helpers and resources but we recognise that this is their event. If a group asks SEA to help organise the event, we will come up with a plan to work together.
We aim to inspire people through actions and education, showing that the change that is needed is possible in our lives without unnecessary cost.
We will not pursue funding for everything we do. We prefer to work within our means to make projects achievable. We work practically and are not seeking for perfection.
Values to work by:
- Make do and mend philosophy – working with what we have, reusable signs, borrow resources.
- Ensure events are accessible by public transport, walking, cycling – promote ways of doing this (advertise how far/how long it takes to walk, cycle from certain points).
- Be resourceful – ask for second-hand or make do with something else before buying new.
- No single use unless there’s no other way.
- Re-use what we can.
- Work openly.
- Consider how everyone can get involved if they would like to be.